Researching The Site – Part I

In order for me to expand my knowledge of the Lincoln Grandstand I visited the Lincolnshire Archives. During my time there I discovered one of the roles the Lincoln Grandstand was used for – the Common opposite the Lincoln Grandstand was used to test Military aircraft during The First World War.

Aircraft Testing Book

The above photograph is a book found at the Lincolnshire Archives.

“Besides Ruston aircraft, the Common was also used to test Robey-built Sopwith Gunbus machines and, later, Bristol F2Bs built by Marshall of Gainsborough and Handley Page aircraft built by Clayton and Shuttleworth.” ((Walls, John (1974) Ruston Aircraft Production A Souvenir of Ruston’s 1,000th Aeroplane Lincoln: AERO LITHO COMPANY (Lincoln) LTD.))

This quote, taken from the book pictured above it, clearly presents evidence that the Common was used to test Military Aircraft. This link between the Lincoln Grandstand and the Military connects with one of the concepts I am pursuing for my performance and that is the concept of becoming one with those who came before you. I now have a potential theme for my performance – the Military.